Diane was known as a philanthropist who founded the Walt Disney Family Museum, and was committed to preserving the memory and work of her father. She was also instrumental in the building of the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles.
Robert Iger, Chairman and CEO of The Walt Disney Company released a statement this evening; he said, in part, "We are deeply saddened by the loss of Diane Disney Miller and our thoughts are with the family during this difficult time. As the beloved daughter of Walt Disney and one of his inspirations for creating Disneyland, she holds a special place in the history of The Walt Disney Company and in the hearts of fans everywhere." The Disney Inside blog has printed the full statement on their website, and that can be viewed here.
I recall watching a documentary a few years ago which played an audio clip of Walt discussing why he built Disneyland. He recalled taking his daughters out to the park, which he deemed "daddy-daughter day" and how he felt there was a real need for a clean, visually appealing and safe place for families to have fun and spend time together. Walt and Lillian struggled to have a family, and were blessed with both Diane and her sister Sharon, who passed away in 1993. In that same documentary I couldn't help but be touched by Walt's obvious love for his girls, and how that love influenced him to create some pretty magical places.
Tonight, Diane has been reunited with her father, mother and sister and I am smiling, thinking of their reunion. Please join me in sending condolences to Diane's husband Ron, their seven children, thirteen grandchildren and one great-grandchild.
I was so sad when I read this; and I believe she is now with her father who started all of this for her.
ReplyDelete