Sunday, December 8, 2013

Sunday with Friends - Katie Schafer

Hello everyone, and happy Sunday!  Welcome to another Sunday with Friends.  Today I'd like you to meet my friend Katie and her family.  I've been friends with Katie for about 3 years and am so glad we met, have gotten to know each other and become great friends.  Katie and her family will also be at Disney World in late December / early November so we'll have a chance to hang out there, as well!

Welcome, Katie!  Introduce yourself to our readers.
I'm Katie, I live in Iowa with my husband and two sons.  My first trip to Disney was in 1974 when I was 3 years old.  We visited every few years with both sets of my grandparents until I was in high school and I wasn't able to return for 20 years.  I now visit with my family every couple of years.

Tell us a bit about yourself.
My husband and I are both science teachers.  I love to travel anywhere and often dream about touring the world!

What is your favorite time of year to visit the Disney parks?
In recent years I have been able to visit most often in the summer since that works best with our work calendar.  It's hot but the days are long and my boys love the water parks and especially Star Wars Weekend.  I have also traveled in the spring during the Flower and Garden Festival which was a lot of fun.  We are currently looking forward to a Christmas trip and I am excited to see it again during this time since that is when we visited when I was young.  Someday I hope to get there in October for the Food and Wine Festival too.  I guess there is no bad time for a trip to Disney!

If you had to pick your favorite attraction, what would it be?
I don't know if I could choose just one!  I have a special fondness for the oldest attractions since they bring back special memories of being there with my grandparents.

Tell us a story about one of your favorite memories from your visits to Disney.
I have 2 particularly special moments.  On our first visit, my oldest son was 6 and not very brave so we talked about how Disney is like make believe in an effort to help him not be afraid but it had the side effect of him understanding that things aren't real.  At the end of Mickey's Philharmagic, he ripped off my 3D classes to show me that Donald had really flown out of the movie, he was a believer!  On our second visit, my younger son was 6 and didn't remember much of his previous trip.  On our first night at Magic Kingdom we were riding the PeopleMover while the fireworks were going off and he smiled and said "This really is a dream come true!"  I will never forget seeing my boy experience the same magic I feel when I am there.

If you had a friend visiting a Disney park for the first time, what tip(s) would you give them?
Don't try to do it all, there is no way you can!  Slow down and appreciate all the details that go into the parks and resorts.  The details are what sets Disney apart from other destinations.

Thank you for sharing, Katie!   Have a great week, everyone!

Katie Schafer & Family (and Tinkerbell)

No comments:

Post a Comment