![]() |
| My stateroom door & Fish Extender on the Disney Fantasy |
The Fish Extender (which I will now refer to as a FE) got its name because they hang from the silver fish that is next to your stateroom door (check out the fish in the picture above). It has space where you can hang a FE; this is also where DCL will put your dining rotation information and specifics about any excursions, spa treatments or Palo or Remy reservations you made before embarking.
For my FE, I contacted a seller via Etsy who did an AWESOME job. I selected the fabric and Mickey/Minnie heads I wanted, and I think it turned out super cute. You can get them with your names as well, but since I wanted to be flexible depending on who my travel companion was, I didn't have her include the names.
You don't have to buy a FE, you can make one yourself as well. If you're crafty, you can make your own and customize it for your family. And don't worry about getting too fancy here; just make sure you have pockets in it so the gifts can easily be placed in it!
To participate in a FE, you need to connect with other Disney fans who are cruising the same voyage as you. The popular message board site www.disboards.com has Cruise Line Meet threads on their Disney Cruise Line section of the message board, separated by voyage date. Check out the threads and see if there is one with your cruise date (and if not, maybe you'd like to start one!). If you'd like to participate in the FE, post a message that you're interested and the other thread participants will let you know how to sign up.
Typically, FE groups are limited to 15-20 families so it doesn't become a financial burden for someone to participate. On my last cruise, we actually had 2 separate groups of 15-20 families each and you could choose to participate in one or both. The FE sign ups are also usually accepted until about a month before the cruise, so everyone can have a chance to purchase and/or make their items.
So, what kinds of items do you get? And what do you make?
For my June 2013 cruise, I chose to bring a gift for each girl, a gift for each boy, and a gift for each couple or adult in the room. For the young girls I made hair ties with Disney ribbon, and the older girls got stretchy bead bracelets. The boys received decks of playing cards, and the couples/adults got a small Excursion Survival Kit that included a highlighter, hand sanitizer, bandaids and wet wipes.
What you bring is entirely up to you. Some people make their items; others buy theirs. (I did a combo of buy and make). Whatever works for you is great, and is very appreciated! You also don't have to spend a ton of money to participate in a FE; I scoured coupons and sales for the items I used, and didn't break the bank.
When you get to the ship, select a time when you'll deliver your gifts. I placed each stateroom's gifts in a large Ziploc gallon bag, then labeled it with their room number. I went from floor to floor and delivered the gifts, placing them in their stateroom FE. If you're traveling with kids, they have a blast delivering the FE items around the ship.
One of the great things about the FE is coming back to your room and finding what goodies are there for you! It was so neat to see what people chose to give; I was so impressed with the creativity! Many people themed their gifts around where they lived, or things you could use on the ship. One that I loved what getting a small cup with a spoon and some Oreo cookies, with instructions to take the cup to one of the free ice cream dispensers on the ship, fill it up, add crushed Oreos and voila! A "cool", customized, make-your-own treat!
Below are pictures that I took of what I received in my FE. So much fun!!
| My FE haul mid-cruise, and by the end of the cruise. SO much cool stuff!! |
Just make sure you leave a little extra room in your suitcase so you can take these goodies home!
(If any of my June 2013 cruisers are reading this - THANKS AGAIN for the great gifts! Each time I use them I think of you guys!)

I had no idea people did this... super fun!
ReplyDeleteIt's pretty neat; I had a blast doing it!
Delete